Sunday, October 03, 2004

Debate Question

I normally don't agree with Amy Sullivan on very much (or, at least, very much that she writes about which is obviously not the same thing), and since the Washington Monthly is down and I therefore I can't find the link to her article on this subject, I won't even link to it (I will once I find it). But, she did bring up what I think is a long overdue question for Bush. Sure, as an evil angry partisan Democrat there are lots of nasty questions that I would love to see asked, but given the rhetoric and image of Bush, and the standards of debates questions passed, I think it's imperative that some version of this question is asked:


Mr. President, why don't you go to church more often?


...here's the article.

...to be clear, I personally see no incompatibility between being "devoutly religious" or even a "devoutly religious Christian" and not being a regular church-goer. I'm not particularly interested in people citing scripture to support or refute that particular requirement. Obviously, there are people who consider themselves to be "good Christians" who aren't regular churchgoers and people who think it's a requirement. But, I do think that given the emphasis that Bush, his people, and the media have put on his "faith," and the degree to which the media, at least, tends to equate "religious" with "churchgoing," it seems to be a fair question to ask. And, no, I don't think it's a "gotcha" question. It would be an opportunity for Bush to describe his personal religious beliefs, whether he feels a strong association with or that he's a member of any particular denomination, and to discuss this issue in more depth. After being treated to many weeks of the 'Associated Press Kerry Communion' watch, it's pretty reasonable to think that the details of Bush's religious beliefs, including his thoughts on the importance of any particular religious rite, are subjects which are long overdue for some attention.