Monday, October 18, 2004

October Surprise Watch

I keep bringing this up because there are two weeks left and I think it's important to anticipate any bullshit stunt they might come up with:

Digby writes that he once joked about Bush parachuting into Baghdad on election eve:


Atrios has a list of potential October Surprises that we might look for and I'm wondering if he may actually try the hail mary of a trip to Iraq. I had heard some rumblings elsewhere that he might try to put on some kind of a uniform again (hopefully sparing us the codpiece this time) and drop in on the troops.

I wrote sometime back about the possibility of Bush parachuting into Baghdad on the eve of the election, but it was, you know, a joke. If he tries a stunt like that this time, I have a feeling that it will be remembered as the most desperate act an incumbent president has ever taken. The press corpse, unfortunately, would probably enjoy the theatre of the thing. They like nothing more than pretending that the lil' preznit is some kind of action hero.

They cannot be allowed at this point to go along with such a thing. If they have even the tiniest shred of self-respect left, they would have to reject such a blatant ploy. To that end, I might think of sending this hilarious link to various members of the press corpse to remind them of what dewy eyed little debutantes they were at the sight of Commander Codpiece in that oh-so-snug jumpsuit.



I'm not sure if the trip into Baghdad is the likeliest stunt, but the more I think about the more I think they'll try and pull something to make Bush look "heroic." I'm not sure what they would be. Brainstorm.