Friday, October 15, 2004

Stupid Paul Begala

When Jon Stewart was on Crossfire, Begala claimed that Bush's spinners actually believe what they say, that they aren't ever lying. Even Tucker Carlson is more honest than that. Tucker flashback:

Then I heard that [on the campaign bus, Bush communications director] Karen Hughes accused me of lying. And so I called Karen and asked her why she was saying this, and she had this almost Orwellian rap that she laid on me about how things she'd heard -- that I watched her hear -- she in fact had never heard, and she'd never heard Bush use profanity ever. It was insane.

I've obviously been lied to a lot by campaign operatives, but the striking thing about the way she lied was she knew I knew she was lying, and she did it anyway. There is no word in English that captures that. It almost crosses over from bravado into mental illness.


And, yes Democratic campaign operatives are full of it too sometimes. But, right there Begala proved Stewart's obviously true point that Crossfire was "theater." Begala was desperate to maintain the illusion.

What a load of crap.